The Australian Dental Association has created this animated video to share some important tips on enjoying a tooth-friendly diet. This is a critical aspect of preventing dental disease.
Here are the tooth-friendly diet tips included in the video:
1. A diet low in sugar can help you to avoid or reduce tooth decay.
2. Sugar feeds the bacteria in your mouth, producing acid which attacks your teeth, causing tooth decay.
3. To prevent tooth decay, the World Health Organization recommends adults consume less than 6 teaspoons of sugar per day.
4. When buying foods and drinks, read the sugar content listed on the nutrition label. Look for food and drink labels that report less than 10 grams of sugar per 100 grams. Read our article about the Hidden Dangers of Sugar for more information.
5. Avoid sweet, sticky or chewy snacks. And opt for vegetables, nuts or cheese instead.
6. For tooth-friendly drinks, ditch the sugary drinks and choose water or milk.
7. Drinking water after meals and sugary snacks helps to dilute and rinse out sugar and acids.
8. Choose tap water over bottled water. Fluoride contained in tap water helps to protect and strengthen your teeth.
9. Do not forget to brush twice daily and floss at least once a day.